A Thing or Two I Learned During My First Taping Experience
![]() |
| Second to the last sequence of the day. |
Clearly, I did not know what I signed up for when I agreed to play a 'minor role' in a Maalaala Mo Kaya Episode.
A friend texted me if I wanted to become an 'extra/talent' for an MMK episode. Perhaps the reason why I did not have apprehensions and immediately said 'yes' was because of the magic word: 'Piolo'. Heck, I didn't even ask where the location would be and how much I will be paid for! Piolo Pascual, albeit suspicions of his sexuality, has been my showbiz crush for the longest time, and doing a scene with him was a dream come true.
I was told that the PA will contact me regarding the call time and the wardrobe for the said shoot. And he did, at a very inconvenient time: while I was in the moviehouse watching X-men: First Class, at past 12 in the morning. Call time was 4 effin AM. Which meant we had like barely 2 hours to sleep. My sister did, but I wasn't able to because of excitement. But little did I know that that few hours' sleep would have made a big difference.
Steffi and I arrived at ABS-CBN at quarter to 4 (on Friday, June 3), with barely any sleep. To my horror, I had to ride in an L300-type vehicle on my way to the location of the shoot (honestly, I was expecting that a van will take me there). So much for 'service'. Oh yeah, and we waited for 2 hours before we actually left the station.
When we arrived at the location (which was I think on the boundary of Fairview and San Jose del Monte, Bulacan), 'breakfast' was served. The whole time they were shooting the action sequence, we were under the trees, hastily waiting for our scene. Well, at least I did. Meanwhile, there were airconditioned tents (yes, they were) where some of the actors and staff stayed in. It took the whole morning until afternoon to shoot the feakin sequence. Little did I know that we were moving to another location, which was in some barangay in Lagro.
![]() |
| Scene with Piolo, Maricar, Maurice and Marikit. |
At past 9, the PA told me to prepare for my scene was coming up. But to his disappointment, I brought only one set of costumes (a booboo in this business). But to my defense, I was told that I was going to play as Piolo Pascual's passenger, not to play the sister of Maricar Reyes. And so, being the UP student that I am, I had to look for a solution and be resourceful. Fortunately, I made friends with some of the talents (aka extras) so I was able to borrow 3 sets of costumes.
My first scene was with no other than Piolo Pascual himself. My one and only line, was with him! I swear it felt so surreal, being the Piolo fangirl that I am. He was very kind and accommodating, even offering me to sit beside him while the set was being prepared. It was also very awkward for me being with other professional co-actors, because one, it was my first time, and secondly, since they knew each other, they were all 'friends' so I felt kind of out-of-place. I remained quiet while I was waiting for our queue.
The PA attached the lapel mic on me. It was time to shoot our scene. I was really really hesitant, and nervous, but I did my best to hide it. When Direk Dado was giving us the instructions, I listened very carefully, hoping not to mess up the scene (and hoping for a single take only). Fortunately, after 1 rehearsal, it took only 1 shot to get a good take. But, even if it did not look like it, I almost forgot my line because I was staring at Piolo! It was good that I regained my focus and delivered my line rather er, well.
I thought that was it for me, but the PA informed me to standby because I was needed for some other scenes. And I was, for 3 more scenes.
We ended taping at 4 in the morning of Saturday. We arrived home exhausted (an understatement; I don't know how a single word could describe how we felt at that time), but full of memories and valuable lessons. Here are some important things I learned during this experience:
1. When asked to do become a 'talent', always always ask the following before agreeing to do it: (a) the role; (b) the show; (c) the location; (d) the wardrobe; (e) the call time; and most importantly (f) the talent fee/compensation
2. When asked to bring a wardrobe, bring your whole closet if you can.
3. Bring food, water, and something to pass time (like a book or a portable DVD player or a gaming device). You'll never know when your scene is coming up.
4. If you can, bring a cot, portable bed, chair or mat. It's so stressful sitting on the floor/street the whole time.
5. Have someone to accompany you to the shoot. It makes things A LOT EASIER to bear.
6. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE. If you aren't anything but patient, you will not make it in this industry.
7. You should not be maarte when you're on set. I mean this in all aspects. But also, learn your place. Demand if you have to but never feel too important.
8. Being an actor is really serious business and hard work, which is why they are paid so highly. I now have high respect for them.
9. I have a lot to learn about acting, and there's no better experience than to actually do it.
10. I confirmed with myself that I was born to do this.
All the waiting was indeed a hassle. But the experience of actually doing scenes with veteran actors was such a humbling and flattering experience, and very surreal at that. It inspires (and pressures) you to be as good as them.
There's a first time for everything. I was so used to doing theater, that it has become almost second nature to me. But acting for TV is much much different and disorienting at first. But I know that after several more opportunities like this, it will get more and more comfortable for me.
I don't know where this would lead to but I fervently hope that it will lead to something good, to more opportunities for me to be on cam.
This Maalaala Mo Kaya episode, which is also a father's day tribute, airs on June 18 on ABS-CBN. Directed by Direk Dado Lumibao, and starring Piolo Pascual, Maricar Reyes and Pen Medina. Please do watch out for it! :)
PS. I would like to recognize some people for this opportunity. To Erin, my ex-officemate who contacted me and believed that I could play the part. To Daisy for coordinating me with Jerome, the MMK Production Assistant. To Jerome, for being so professional and assisting me throughout the whole shoot. To Pen Medina, for making me feel comfortable on set and inspiring me to pursue acting. To Maricar Reyes, for being so kind and friendly to me. To Piolo Pascual for being so pogi and being so good that it propelled me to do good as well. To my sister Steffi for being there every step of the way and sharing the same hardships as I did. Seriously, I would have gone crazy if I went there alone. I owe her a new pair of Havs and a massage for going with me. And of course, to God for giving me all the patience and strength to last the whole day and giving me this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.


Comments
Post a Comment