Au Revoir, Tinay!
![]() |
| Christine Isabel Panopio March 23, 1988 - November 19, 2011 |
I read on our Facebook Group Page on the morning of November 20, Sunday, a most devastating news. One of our batchmates, Christine Isabel "Tinay" Panopio, died of a motorcycle accident in Lipa, while she and her boyfriend were on their way home the night before. As of writing, her boyfriend is still in the ICU and slowly recuperating. He has not yet been informed of his girlfriend's demise.
I was not exactly close with Tinay during college, but being the friendly and happy person that Tinay was, it wasn't hard to be friends with her. As batchmates, we've been classmates in many subjects and have worked in many productions.
I last met Tinay in April of this year, when we were about to take the exam for PDI. We had a short exchange of hi-hellos, and wished each other luck as we started taking the exam. I noticed that among the examinees, Tinay was the first one to finish the (very long) exam, as if she were in a hurry (she did mention that she just sneaked out of work to take the exam). She discreetly said goodbye to me and left. I returned it with a wave and a smile, not knowing it would be the last one I was going to give her.
![]() |
| Side pictures during grad pictorials |
Part of me did not want to see Tinay under the glass, because I'd like to remember her as the beautiful girl with much spirit and bouncy energy who was such a delight to be with because she seemed to make everything much lighter. I remember Tinay as someone who laughs at the simplest things, as a very creative artist, as a loyal friend and trusted batchmate, as one of the batch's fashionistas, as the girl who was so fond of red lipstick.
![]() |
| With Krista during Rashomon |
![]() |
| With best friends Kat (aka Pusa) and Beta |
![]() |
| BACA for TAO |
![]() |
| Backstage during TAO |
![]() |
| After TAO show |
Today, we laid Tinay to her resting place. A bunch of us from college were there to bid her farewell for the last time.
At such a young age, she had a whole life ahead of her. She had a lot of dreams for herself, for her family, and her soon-to-be-family. At night, this question probably lingers in everybody's mind, "Why God, why her? Why so soon?" and would not get a decent answer. It might take weeks, months or maybe even years for us to fully understand why God took Tinay so early. But I would like to believe that she's happier wherever she is now.
Tinay's death is a wake up call for us, reminding us that we could not predict when it's our time to go. Life is short, and we have make the most out of the time that we're still alive.
I want to remember you, Tinay, not on how you died, but on how you lived. I want to remember the Tinay I knew in college. I want to remember your "bungisngis" smile, your unmistakable laugh, your voice. And your red lipstick. So that, even if you're no longer here, it's as if you never left.
Rest in Peace, Tinay. We love you! Till the next time we meet! :)









Comments
Post a Comment