So this is the obligatory FIRST ENTRY OF 2012. Nakakahiya. HAHA. It took me this long to write again? While I had thoughts of writing new year's resolutions and whatnots at the start of the year, it doesn't prove fitting to write one now, so I'll write about something else instead.
If you know me, you would know that I am a very passionate person. I am very passionate about the things and people that I love. And if you know me well enough, you'd know that one of my greatest passions in life is
food.
Ah yes, I love to cook and eat (but not particularly the ones that I cook myself). I like trying out new restaurants and food (aka going on so-called "food trips"). I'd prefer to follow recipes than re-invent or improvise (it's a confidence issue). I enjoy watching cooking shows on TV (and would constantly wish I was part of the audience). Lately, I also enjoy watching cooking competitions on TV, particularly Junior Masterchef Australia.
 |
| Still my favorite cooking contest on earth. |
However, I think that I don't make a very good food critic because I simply judge food as something that either "tastes good" or "tastes bad". Sometimes, I merely describe it as sweet, sour, spicy, salty or whatever taste that first registers into my tongue.
 |
| I am more into baking because I love sweets more. :p |
DESSERTS ARE MY ULTIMATE WEAKNESS. I can resist everything else on the menu but this. Unfortunately, this sweet tooth can't tolerate too much "sweets". I don't know what exactly but it has something to do with my throat or my tonsils or larynx that hurts when I eat too much of it. :(
 |
| CAKES! |
 |
| Strawberry and Nutella crepe. Nuff said. |
 |
| Tell me, how in the world could one resist this? |
I also have this certain fondness for bread. Is that weird? HAHA. I enjoy buffets coz that's when there's a wide array of breads and spreads that I can choose from. Sometimes though, butter alone suffices. I don't know about you, but I always get that gastronomic feeling whenever I walk inside a bakery that smells of freshly baked bread. Nothing quite like it, it's heaven!
 |
| Croissants! My favorite! |
I had been raised surrounded by a family who also loves cooking, baking and well, food in general (yes, our family LOVES to eat). My dad is our cook in the house. He also does the marketing himself, so he could choose the freshest ingredients. On top of that, he wants to open his own restaurant when he retires. We probably got our interest in cooking from him.
My mom, on the other hand, doesn't cook as often, but she bakes really well. My mom's family owns a bakeshop in Cebu, which was started by my greatgrandmother, Lola Pureza. Until now, Lola Pureza's is known for its Peanut Browas, Toasted Mini Mamon, Peanut Pasensya and Butterscotch. The Peanut Browas most especially has become a staple
pasalubong for those who travel to Cebu. :)
LIKE us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/lolapurezas.
 |
| This is the old packaging of the Peanut Browas products. |
 |
| The new packaging! :D |
In the 90s, my aunt opened her own bakeshop, Chedz, which specializes in custom-made cakes. My aunt started her business as a hobby, but eventually turned into her bread-and-butter. Her daughter (obviously, my cousin) now manages the business in Cebu. Chedz Cakes continues to receive citations, awards, and rave reviews as they constantly innovate to cater to the modern cake aficionado.
For inquires, orders and deliveries (within Cebu City) please visit their website:
www.chedzcakes.com and LIKE us on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/chedzcakes.
I can talk about food for hours, even the whole day. Food is a basic need after all. But who says we can't turn it into an enjoyable experience? :)
I will end this entry with a quote from the animated movie "Ratatouille." If you are thinking of venturing into this tough field:
You must be imaginative, strong-hearted. You must try things that may
not work, and you must not let anyone define your limits because of where you
come from. Your only limit is your soul. What I say is true - anyone can
cook... but only the fearless can be great.
Disclaimer: All photos were taken from various sources on the internet, none were owned by me.
Comments
Post a Comment